Thursday, June 30, 2016

GETTING IN! LSAT

We all dread it...We all have to do it.

One of the most important portions about the law school application process is taking the LSAT.

There are tons and tons of posts on what to do and what not to do to prepare for the LSAT. All I can say personally is find what works for you, but choose wisely. Taking and scoring well on the LSATs could mean the difference between getting into your dream school or having to go to your safety school. 




So, how should you prepare??? There are several options:

1. Self Study
2. One-on-One Tutor
3. Prep Courses - online or in class

I chose to self-study. That way, I could do things on my own time table and pace. This was especially helpful since I was at work for 80H+ a week. 

Now, don't let getting a lower score than you expected discourage you. There are many people who have to take the LSAT a second time (and even a third time). Most schools take your highest score (some average your scores, so be sure to check).

The first time I took the LSAT (yes, I took it more than once), I did horrifically. I was crushed when I got my score, because I thought I was properly prepared and ready. 

Turns out, I was wrong. Honestly, I didn't give myself enough time to study. I crammed too much information into a too small amount of time. Couple that with my natural anxiety (especially during exams), and I crumbled under the pressure. Although I was sad for a couple of days, I immediately signed up for the next LSAT exam. I swore I would make the necessary changes to do well the second time around.

I retook my first LSAT exam as a practice test and compared how well I did on my own vs under test conditions. I used that as a starting point for what I should focus my attention on for the upcoming weeks. I found that I did well when there was no time limit. So, it was about increasing my speed at answering questions without sacrificing my accuracy. I spent all of my time taking and retaking practice exams. In the end, I was able to raise my LSAT score 10 percentage points which put me in fighting range for my dream school. 

DO:

  • What works for you.
  • Create a study schedule. 
  • Get a good night's rest before the exam.
  • Select the right materials. 
  • Practice. Practice. Practice. 


DON'T:

  • Cram at the last minute.
  • Doubt yourself.
  • Waste your money (Buy only what you need).


-W

P.S. One of the best websites with advice about the LSATs is LawSchooli. Check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment